Farmland to Lakes

Farmland to Lakes...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Paper clutter!

Oh my, when will I ever get a handle on papers and books in my home?
I've been on a journey to declutter and get rid of things, which I think I've done pretty good with. Now, the problem is keeping it that way!  My question today is how do you manage your papers, your to do lists, your things that need to be taken care of, you can't forget, but don't have time right now to do them?

I know there is a born organized person out there with some advice for me!
This what I have right now.  The problem is that it is in the main part of the house where anyone who comes over it is one of the first things they see.  Our family enjoys having company, so I would like it to be a little more out of the way, or not as visible.  I can't help but think there is a better way of keeping track and organizing papers that it wouldn't have to be a problem.
So, just asking how you deal with your paper clutter?

So in the above picture,
Top Shelf
The basket has cards we recieve through out the year.  Mainly Christmas cards.
The stackable trays.
1 is supposed to be things for "today"
2 ? To do later ( out of sight out of mind unfortunately!)
3 Scrap-paper
I don't like this method because the first tray starts to get overwhelmed with things I can't do
Right Now, but needs to be dealt with ASAP.  Then I end up forgetting about it until it is too late.
Hummm,  Maybe it is a matter of my routine to deal with paperwork?

Middle Shelf
On left is the girls piano homework we use almost daily.
Then my current card stash that I have ready to write cards for birthdays..
Basket is the kids artwork, school papers... to file later
Hanging file... I brought this up yesterday thinking maybe a hanging file would be a better solution
to my stacking trays that aren't working for me.  I have no plan for this yet.  Any ideas?
Then my journal, Bible and my devotional book.

Bottom shelf
File box
I have a hanging folder for each of the kids scrapbooks
A file for other papers that need to be filed.
A Health/recipe file
This box is not set up the way I think would work the best either.
On top of that is a thin basket that is just collecting Junk
Then the pink basket has sticky notes, office supplies.  The problem is the kids have found this basket and think they can use my special sticky notes for drawing their little creations.  Soon I'll have no sticky notes..
Next is my markers, don't ask me why they are there
Then my Day timer that I'm learning how to use..
Then a 3 ring binder with recipes that I either want to try or don't know what to do with.

On the wall:
I have a white board to write reminders for the day.
Then the cork board has things I need to do right away.  Notes to return to school,
Dentist appointment that I need to rescedule, a gift certificate that is expiring at the end of the year,
My outdoors card that needs to be renewed ASAP
My Flylady calender that I am very grateful for!  I use this ALL the time.

My computer desk:
On the shelf I keep my tax records and my "budget"  records very losely done.
We don't have a budget, but with Jeff going to school now we might just have to change some things!
My three ring whole punch is there and in my small drawer are headphones and computer cords for cameras and ipods and the tv remote.

Anyway, this is probably very boring for some of you, if you got to this part, thanks for taking the time to read and I would love any advice on how I could make this part of my life a little more less stressful!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Whatever works. :-) Sounds about like my system. I keep figuring that when the kids are all in school it will work the way it's supposed to!

Wendy Yutzy said...

I hope so Karen!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty good system! Would there be room in the laundry room to keep it so it's more hidden away? I always had this pile of papers on my counter by the computer... overtaking my cooking counter! Just two weeks ago I finally put a basket there so that it at least looks a bit tidier. :P Then I have a kitchen drawer full of things to sort, file, etc. :P Yeah, I need an expert organizer, or to just keep up with things better!!!

Wendy Yutzy said...

Yea, I was just thinking if I put away some of the things in my laundry room I might have room for some of my paper stuff. I like having it close by because we deal with paper every day, but I think it is an eye sore!

TISH said...

I just want to report a victory: A small one, but a victory none the less. I cleared the paper clutter off my desk today. Previously I would go 2-3 months between episodes of sorting mail, etc. It looks awfull, I miss deadlines, and it lurks there all the time as a source of anxiety. I worked at it a couple of weeks ago and got it cleared up and decluttered the filing cabinate. Now today I only had to go through the last 2-3 weeks of mail instead of the last 2-3 months of mail. It feels gooood!