Farmland to Lakes

Farmland to Lakes...

Thursday, May 24, 2012

School lunches!

http://applevalleygirl.blogspot.ca/2011/08/back-to-school-organizing-part-3-5-easy.html#

I found this blog entry interesting!  I am always trying to figure out what to make for the kids lunches.
At first when they started going to school last year, we recieved papers home including ideas on what to pack for two nutritious nutritrion breaks.  So,  I tried to plan ahead and have some exciting things for their lunches.

 Now, almost two years later,  I've come to a conclusion.
 It is okay to have the same food (with a bit of variety) each day!

What did you take in your school lunches when you were a kid?
Did you pack your own lunches, or did your mom?
Thinking back to my school lunches I had, I remember:

Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches/ or Bolgna and cheese with margerine
Apple
Pretzels
Chocolate chip bar
Milk

That is it, and we were happy!
We didn't throw our food away because we didn't like it.  If we did we would have been hungry!

I am a lunchroom supervisor at our school.
It really bugs me to see kids throwing their perfectly good food in the garbage, then asking to go the office for food.  We have a great program, breakfast for learning, and fruit available for those who don't have enough.  I find that it is being abused by those who don't need it.
I am striving to teach my kids not to waste their food.  I want them to appriecate what they have.
I guess I need to scale down on how much I pack in their lunches.

So,
Bologna and cheese sandwiches/ Or Leftovers
Cup of fruit (applesauce, peaches, pears)
Yogurt cup
Granola bar
Pretzels

This is what our basic lunches are each day.  I should go check and see if they brought any food home today.....

Tell me, what do you find nutritious to pack in your kids school lunches, that really "work"
(you know, don't get smushed, gross, brown.....slimy)


No comments: